Sunday 23 August 2009

A sequel 23 August 2009

23rd August 2009

Hello Again. As I write the rain is streaming down the windows and this was supposed to be a long hot summer. In Scotland the school holidays start at the beginning of July so the children returned to school this week to begin the winter term. Usually the sun shines again when they are safely in their classrooms but that has not happened this week. Fortunately writing does not depend on the weather so I can continue my addiction.

I have recently completed the sequel to Dreams of Home. The next in the series is already with the publisher – Severn House – and will be out in January with the title A Home of Our Own. In this one two relatively minor characters from the first book have unexpectedly sprung to life. This was not planning on my part but I have really enjoyed writing their story and I hope some of you will enjoy reading it in due course. I shall tell you more once a picture of the jacket is available. Before then the manuscripts will pass through the hands of a copy-editor who scrutinizes it for any errors – factual, spelling, accidental changes of name or eye or hair colour. I try not to make these mistakes so I keep a loose leaf file beside me to note down details of characters as they appear, but mistakes can happen. After that we have the printer’s proofs which is the final stage before the pages are bound into books. I check mine line by line with a ruler looking for any words which may have been changed or the letters transposed.

Usually when writing a series I try to have one word in common for all the titles. In this series it is “Home”. Sometimes I feel it is mistake to write a series of novels following the fortunes of the same family in case readers cannot read them in the right order but each book is a complete story and most of the letters and emails I receive are from readers looking forward to the next story or asking if I could write another about one or other of the characters which has caught their attention. I suppose it is a bit like television soaps.

If anyone has any questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact me through my web site or on this blog.

Enjoy a little leisure with a good book. Gwen


No comments:

Post a Comment